Former Central Bank Boss, Valter Filipe da Silva have been charged by the Angolan prosecutors in relation to an alleged $500m fraud attempted against the Angolan government last year, a source revealed.
The $500m was transferred from the Angolan central bank to an account in the UK in the final weeks of the presidency of José Eduardo dos Santos, the source said in a report on international media. It was, however, flagged as suspicious by UK authorities and frozen.
The news was broken earlier on Thursday by the blog Maka Angola, run by activist and journalist Rafael Marques.
In January, in response to questions about the case sent by Reuters, the UK’s NCA said: “We can confirm that the NCA’s international corruption unit is investigating a case of potential fraud against the Angolan government.”
President João Lourenço has vowed to combat an endemic culture of corruption since taking office in September, after nearly 38 years of rule by Dos Santos.
“No one is so rich and powerful that they cannot be punished and no one is so poor that they cannot be protected,” he said at his inauguration.