Days ago, the US Census Bureau was reported to have started the process of printing questionnaire without the controversial “citizenship” question. This comes after the US Supreme court halted the addition of the question.
Justice Department spokeswoman Kelly Laco confirmed there would be “no citizenship question on 2020 Census”.
However, President Trump said on Wednesday he was moving ahead with adding the contentious citizenship question to the 2020 US census in a dramatic change after his administration announced a day earlier that the plan had been dropped following the Supreme court ruling.
Trump wrote on Twitter; “The News Reports about the Department of Commerce dropping its quest to put the Citizenship Question on the Census is incorrect or, to state it differently, FAKE! We are absolutely moving forward, as we must, because of the importance of the answer to this question.”
The census will continue to be printed without the citizenship question while the administration re-evaluates all options on possibilities of winning a new lower court decision that would permit it to add the question, according to a person familiar with the administration’s thinking, Reuters Reported.
Critics have called the citizenship question a Republican ploy to scare immigrants from not taking part in the census and ultimately result in a population undercount in Democratic-leaning areas with high immigrant and Latino populations. That would benefit non-Hispanic whites and help Trump’s fellow Republicans gain seats in the U.S. House of Representatives and state legislatures when new electoral district boundaries are drawn after the census, the critics said.