Kenya cholera outbreak: Top Hotels shut down
Two top hotels in Kenya have been shut down in Kenya on Wednesday following the outbreak of cholera that has claimed the lives of at least three people. All hotels in Nairobi have also been stripped of their food hygiene certificates a source disclosed.
The announcement was made by the Kenyan Health Ministry stating that the disease had so far affected 12 of 42 counties with 381 cases reported in various hospitals across the country.
“We have so far closed down two hotels (Jacaranda and San Valencia hotels) and we are putting up measures to ensure all hotels operate with the set guidelines,” Kenya’s health Minister, Cleopa Mailu said during a visit to some of the patients in the hospital.
The hotels stripped of their food hygiene certificates will have to be scrutinized to ensure the meet and comply with the required food safety standard, Mailu said.
According to media sources, the Kenyatta National Hospital in Nairobi have admitted scores of patients linked to the waterborne disease. Two Kenyan ministers and scores of delegates for a health conference were last week admitted to various hospitals in Nairobi suffering from cholera like symptoms.
Cholera often transmitted through contaminated water or food still remains a challenge in most African countries due to poor water and sewage treatment.